Ironman 70.3 - in Staffordshire!
Staffordshire County Council has successfully bid to host an annual Ironman triathlon, for three years starting in June 2015. The next event is the 12 June 2016
Ironman is a world famous, long distance triathlon series with races taking place across the globe, open to both elite athletes and amateurs. The Staffordshire event will be part of the Ironman 70.3 series, which are half distance events consisting of a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and a 13.1 mile run (70.3 miles combined).
The Staffordshire course starts with the swim in Chasewater, followed by a bike course through the stunning countryside outside Lichfield, Burton-upon-Trent and across Cannock Chase. The concluding run starts and finishes at the Shugborough Country Estate outside Stafford.
The event offers huge benefits for Staffordshire’s economy, especially within the hospitality and tourism sector, while also showcasing our fantastic county to an international audience. Evidence from the three other Ironman races in the UK suggests that the athletes, friends, family and spectators will spend an estimated £2.7m in the local area on accommodation, food and other services both during the race weekend and in planning or training visits beforehand.
Ironman events are featured on Channel 4, across the media and online, so the event will give us an excellent opportunity to showcase the county to a national and international audience.
On-line entries for the event were open on August 26th 2015 at 1pm BST for athletes who have pre-registered their interest in the event.
So far more than 7,500 people have registered an interest in signing up and organisers are expecting a surge in demand when places go on sale.
Pre-registered athletes will have 24 hours to secure a place on a first come, first served basis before general entries open at 1pm BST on 27th August when any remaining places will be made available.
Key facts about the competition and its economic impact
- Staffordshire will be one of four annual Ironman events in the UK.
- The next event will take place on Sunday 12 June 2016
- Around 200,000 people race in Ironman events across the globe every year
- The global events attract 2 million spectators
- The event is estimated to generate a total spend of £2.7 million in Staffordshire
- Athlete race week spend is around £1.4 million on food and accommodation alone
- Spectators spend around £1 million whilst visiting
- On average each competitor brings with them 4 family members/friends
- Ironman spend around £180,000 on sourcing local suppliers
- An estimated £273,000 is spent in the area on course recces and training camps throughout the whole year
Chris Lewis, The Lewis Partnership
Mark Withington, Chair Stafford Tri-club