Village, free entry
Swinfen takes its name from the Swinfens, who held the Manor in the reign of Henry VI (1422-71). The long barrow at Swinfen dates back to Offa, King of Mercia, who gave his name to the county division known as the Offlow Hundred.
The area has many large estates of which Freeford Manor to the north is still a private residence. Swinfen Hall is now a Hotel, with a popular craft centre - Heart of the Country Village - next door.
Open all the time