In the 1760’s the grounds were landscaped by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown. His magnificent lake or The Pool, as it is called, was formed by constructing a high dam which flooded three ponds to form one large stretch of water.
Architectural follies dot the surrounding area. On the southern side of The Pool is the Grecian Temple, probably designed by Adam. It has an Ionic portico and a low dome above an attic storey which has pedestals for four statues.
In the woods across the water can be seen another temple built in the Italian style and further away a Sham Bridge by Brown with five arches built to impound the water at the northern end of The Pool. James Paine, who built a bridge by the Lake, described Browns work here as ‘confessedly one of the finest pieces of water within an enclosure, that this kingdom produces’.
Adult: £4.00, Child: £2.00